Presenting Textual Evidence of Other Horrors

Consisting of the cogitations of the crowned King Merrygold; arrayed in reverse chronology; appended by the animadversions of sundry pundits, bluestockings, braintrusters, longhairs, dunces, clods, tomfools, and dullards.

20110509

The problems that you suffer from are problems that you make.

Here, check this link out. It's Yale's open online courses. They have a plethora of subjects available; each course has transcripts, audio, and video for an entire semester, with reading assignments and downloaded material. Pretty sweet, although I can't vouch for any of the material. I'm checking out the only philosophy class, which is a freshman-level introductory course on death, and it seems decent. Although, it makes me wonder how obsessed Yale professors are about their image. Maybe it's just that guy.

It's been awhile since I've said much of anything here, and I intend to write more since I'm leaving home for a long while, so I'll catch you up.


I'm going to go to law school. Indiana University Maurer School of Law in Bloomington, IN, class of 2014. I had originally wanted to do graduate school for anthropology, or possibly religious studies, which is part of the reason why I went to India and followed up on a research proposal I wrote as an undergraduate. But of all the programs I applied to, none of the anthropology programs took any students at all, and the religious studies program took only one student. This got me really thinking, this and advice from a lot of my undergraduate professors about the future of humanities and social sciences. And my experiences in India. Even though I'm passionate about the subject and the work, would I be really happy with a life writing books that only other intellectuals will read? Okay, I guess I would.... but I thought I might be happier if I could do something more immediately effective. It finally clicked that a lifetime of studying philosophy, religion, culture, and even computer science has led me to law: socially imposed rules that govern human behavior. And philosophy has already prepared me for the shock of the indeterminacy inherent in law. I've also had my own direct brushes with the legal system, having the distinction of defending in the first computer crime trial in my county, which now seems a foreshadowing. I did decently well on the LSAT: a 167 - 95th percentile, which is better than my GRE score was (620 verbal & 780 quantitative - 89th percentile in each). And even though IU is a top law school, it doesn't have that top law cutthroat atmosphere, at least from what I saw and heard there. Plus they're giving me pretty much a free ride, so that certainly helped my decision. I'm moving to the Midwest (*gulp*) with my girlfriend first thing in July, to start off with a summer course in torts.

I've been doing more music again as Hyperprism, including some live stuff, and I'm working on getting together a digital label with my friend Jared. It's been going slow because I've been so busy, but we have stuff in the works, and hopefully my move will not destroy the project. Check out the label: Lost Dead Records. As of this writing, the site just links to a few social networking sites where you can hear and in some cases download our work. I really enjoyed playing live, and hope to do more shows.

Chinese is coming along, and so is acting, although I haven't had time to do any plays recently. There is a drama club at the law school, so maybe I'll have some time for it there.

I just saw Steve Ignorant doing his farewell to Crass tour in Baltimore. The Sonar closed down after not renewing its liquor license a couple days before the show, but at the last minute they opened the doors back up. It was a fantastic show, as I had expected. I saw him a couple of times with the Stratford Mercenaries in the late 90's I believe, in D.C. and Pittsburgh. He had a great band with him last night, too. Saw My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult a few months back - awesome. They opened for Lords of Acid, and LoA did not put on a very good show, contrary to what I had heard from some friends about a decade ago. I missed the Lustmord show on my birthday in New York, about which I am sad. Maybe, just maybe, there will be a next time.

No comments: